[PLUG] Ubuntu 10.04 Display Issue

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Sep 11 16:26:18 UTC 2010

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010, frank hunt wrote:

> The newer versions of X.org autodetect everything so there is no
> xorg.conf

Frank,

   That's my understanding, but I thought the .conf file could be used if
present.

> I think the problem is further exacerbated by having two methods of
> setting resolution - one from nvidia and one from linux. Maybe I'll fool
> around with xrandr . . .

   Probably a good idea. Autodetection is not always a good idea. It would be
nice to be able to override what is detected by user-established
preferences.

   As I keep writing (and saying), while all progress involves change, not
all change involves progress. Sometimes we're too clever for our own good.

Good luck!