[PLUG] Ubuntu 10.04 Display Issue

frank hunt fh-linux at frankhunt.com
Sat Sep 11 16:50:59 UTC 2010

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2010, frank hunt wrote:
>
>> The newer versions of X.org autodetect everything so there is no
>> xorg.conf
>
> Frank,
>
>    That's my understanding, but I thought the .conf file could be used if
> present.
>
>> I think the problem is further exacerbated by having two methods of
>> setting resolution - one from nvidia and one from linux. Maybe I'll fool
>> around with xrandr . . .
>
>    Probably a good idea. Autodetection is not always a good idea. It would be
> nice to be able to override what is detected by user-established
> preferences.
>
>    As I keep writing (and saying), while all progress involves change, not
> all change involves progress. Sometimes we're too clever for our own good.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Rich

One of my biggest complaints about all the Linuxs is the seeming
inability to get the display right.  Not to throw rocks, but how come
Micro$oft gets it right about 99% of the time?  I can put W7 on this
same system and it will see the display and set the correct resolution.
  Circles will not look like footballs and . . .  well enough of that.
You are absolutely right: we tend to do things because we can, not
because we should.

Maybe I need more coffee.  Then I'll watch my friend play his match at
the US Open.

fh

--
frank hunt