[PLUG] OT: SQLite

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Sep 12 21:38:10 UTC 2010

On Sun, 12 Sep 2010, Fred James wrote:

> I am seeking comment ... why would I not want to use SQLite?

   If you'll have multiple simultaneous users use PostgreSQL (or MySQL if you
insist). If the database is on an NSF-mounted drive you could also run into
problems.

> Of course, comments as to why I might wish to use SQLite are welcome as
> well. I do have some experience with Oracle and MySQL, and other types of
> databases in general.

   SQLite is a fully-relational dbms with triggers and other useful features.
It's great for embedded dbms back ends (ask the Firefox and Apple folks)
because everything in stored in a single file. It's quick, flexible,
standards-compliant, and has great support on the mail list (including the
lead developer.)