[PLUG] Available Memory

Tim tim-pdxlug at sentinelchicken.org
Sat Sep 25 02:36:20 UTC 2010

Hi Rich,

>    I don't know how to determine whether PAE is set for the Slackware-13.1
> installation in my new Dell portable. When I look at /proc/meminfo I see the
> amount of memory as 3841208 kB. Am I correct that this is equivalent to
> knowing that 4G RAM are installed? If so, I assume the PAE flag is set.

That number is just under 4G of course, but the rest is probably
stolen by your video card.  If you want more of that back, check bios
settings.  However, setting it too low could cause you video problems.
Anyway, it sounds like it's probably seeing all of the RAM.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

tim