[PLUG] Video cards...

Someone plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Sat Sep 25 22:03:39 PDT 2010

I'm in a tight spot.  I want and need a better video card than a Radeon
7500, but I have been burned twice trying to get one.  My first attempt
was an ATI Radeon HD 3450.  This card seems to work okay on one system
with linux from scratch, but it doesn't work on my Intel D845PEBT2
motherboard with Linux from scratch.  I've also had problems with this
video card randomly dropping signal under Fedora 12.  The obvious thing
to do, try and get a different video card.  I acquired an NVIDIA 6200
AGP 4x card.  Big mistake, text mode not supported at all and there are
compatibility issues with the open source nouveau driver.  I do not want
another video card that requires proprietary drivers.

I'm currently looking at a Radeon HD 2600 PRO card with dual HDMI ports.
Nice, I could run two high end monitors with this card.  Question is,
does this card even work under Linux from Scratch let alone Fedora 12
without a proprietary driver?

It has to be an AGP card and it has to be a 4x card or an 8x/4x card.

If I'm at a point where I need PCI express meaning a new motherboard,
what should I buy?  What should I avoid?

I'm currently in a situation where I have to open my case and substitute
my Radeon 7500 card to network boot Linux From Scratch and back things
up.  This is not ideal to say the least.  The stability issue where I
randomly lose signal with the Radeon HD 3450 is totally unacceptable.
The NVIDIA card not supporting text mode is just annoying.

Is there anyone other than AMD and NVIDIA in the video card business
supporting Linux better via open source, free, fully featured drivers?
Anyone who produces video cards that doesn't release the specs to the
open source community is making a major mistake in my opinion.  I don't
even have Windows on my personal computer anymore.