[PLUG] what simple linux command does this?

logical american website.reader3 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 23:38:42 UTC 2010

  This is a "noobie" linux question.

I cannot seem to find a simple linux command to do the following:

mv /one/long/path/on/a/partition/file
/another/path/on/another/partition/file

i.e. simply move a file around across directories and partitions.  The
names and paths are not necessarily the same.

I have been reading the internet and read scores of comments like "use
rsync" (nope, not preserving paths) "use cp -R/r" (nope, not copying
recursively, just one file).  Both mv and cp refuse to create new
directories or directory paths (unless recursive and we're not doing a
recursive copy)

So far all that I have been able to do is

mkdir /another
cd another
mkdir path
cd path