[PLUG] Laptop Sees Half Installed Memory - PAE?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sat Apr 2 16:12:07 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 03:58:28PM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   System is Dell Latitude E-5410 running a brand-new installation of
> Slackware-13.1/64-bit. I replaced the 2G RAM with 8G (two 4G DIMMs), yet
> /proc/meminfo shows only 3.9G (close enough to 4G) installed. What might be
> the cause of this?

As Paul Heinlein told us a month ago, check for "pae" with
/proc/cpuinfo, as well as /boot/config-2.6.[whatever] for
CONFIG_X86_PAE.  There are probably other associated options
that must also be configured.  I assume you have tried booting
into MEMTST, and looked through dmesg for clues, and looked in
the CMOS BIOS setup for clues, and updated the BIOS if needed.

Lastly, make sure both DIMMs work properly and are properly
seated in their sockets, perhaps testing each one by itself
with MEMTST, and testing both sockets with just one DIMM.
You can also try mixing one new and one old DIMM.  Lots of
experiments to try, and a fuller picture might lead you to
the cause.

Keith