[PLUG] Laptop Sees Half Installed Memory - PAE?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Apr 2 16:20:32 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2 Apr 2011, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> ... and updated the BIOS if needed.

Keith,

   Apparently, that's what's needed. For whatever the reason, Dell did not
make their BIOS version A03 accept > 4G RAM despite being on an Intel i7
chipset/CPU that runs at high speed.

   What's worse, in my opinion, is that after 20 years of linux in the world
(and many businesses running this OS), Dell does not have an inherent means
of upgrading the BIOS unless the system is running Microsoft. Of course, HP
had the same crappy customer support attitude on printer firmware upgrades.
It's a shame that Microsoft can still bend these companies over as they do.

   I'm seeking a means of upgrading the BIOS version, perhaps with an
external hard drive.