[PLUG] Virtualbox on Ubuntu 10.04 - Win98 Guest Additions

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Sat Apr 2 22:42:34 UTC 2011

I still have a couple of Win98 programs that I use from time to time.
I'd like to be able to run them on a virtual machine on my Linux
machine. To that end I installed the .deb package for VirtualBox from
Oracle, and successfully created a virtual Win98 machine. The base
machine only supports 16 colors at 640 x 480. To get better resolution
and take advantage of some optimization one must next implement "Guest
Additions." Unfortunately, support is not provided for Win98 (or 95 or
ME). Two alternatives are mentioned (that I've found through Google).
One is a commercial product for about $40. The other is free, but I
don't find clear instructions on how to use it.

http://bearwindows.boot-land.net/vbe9x.htm

Is anyone on the list using VirtualBox to run Win98? And can you point
me to clearer instructions on how to use the vbemp drivers?

Thanks.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens