[PLUG] Tracking down which drive is throwing mptsas errors...

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sun Apr 3 01:47:46 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 14:53, Larry Brigman <larry.brigman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:02 PM, Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:
>> Hey.

Thanks for responding; sorry for taking so long to get back to you on.

>> So, my server has a fairly boring LSI JSOD SAS controller running the
>> set of SATA disks, and it has taken recently (and newly) to throwing a
>> whole pile of errors at me:
>>
>> mptbase: ioc0: LogInfo(0x31080000): Originator={PL}, Code={SATA NCQ
>> Fail All Commands After Error}, SubCode(0x0000)
>> mptbase: ioc0: LogInfo(0x31181000): Originator={PL}, Code={IO
>> Cancelled Due to Recieve Error}, SubCode(0x1000)
>
> Which LSI SAS controller are you using?
> Have you updated to the latest firmware?

The LSI SAS 3081E-R, just in JBOD mode, and yes: I loaded the latest
version a few days ago as part of working on solving this all; it
still hits the same notes occasionally.

> The commands that are getting these errors that you are seeing are either being
> retried in the firmware layer of the card or in the Linux driver layer.
>
> Also if this is a 3Gb SAS system, there is many fixes in the LSI
> drivers from the LSI web site.
> Most of the fixes are related to handling SATA devices on the SAS bus.

OK, cool.  The firmware update didn't solve the problem, but I am
overdue for a kernel upgrade on that machine anyway, so I will see if
that resolves things for me.  It is a 3gb (well, 3/6 now, with 3gb
SATA disks) and all.

The other possibility is that one of the disks really is failing a
bit; they did get shipped across the world and all, and at least one
got beat enough to fail shortly afterwards.

Daniel
--
⎋ Puppet Labs Developer – http://puppetlabs.com
✉ Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net>