[PLUG] Dell BIOS Upgrade/Linux [UPDATE]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Apr 3 20:08:06 UTC 2011

   There is a SlackBuild script for the libsmbios library, and one subscriber
to the mail list said that with the data files available at linux.dell.com
he's successfully upgraded the BIOS on his Latitude Dnnn several times.
Ergo, it will work for me, too, once I read all the documents and understand
what I'm doing.

   So, Dell provides the ability to flash their BIOS firmware from linux
using .rpm, .deb (if I recall correctly) and .tgz (Slackware). Isn't that a
plus!

   Others here with Dell systems may find this useful. There are only a few
server, desktop, and portable models that cannot be upgraded this way.

   I let everyone know when I've completed the process.