[PLUG] Do I have the wrong Java for Desire 2 Learn?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Apr 5 03:22:50 UTC 2011

The professor has put numerous articles and papers on Desire 2 Learn. I
can download almost all of them just by clicking on them in Firefox
3.6.16 on Fedora 14 x86_64. Sometimes, however, the download does not
happen. But then later I can click on the same java link and it does
download. Today there is a new PDF file that I need before class
tomorrow, and I can't get it to download at all. I could e-mail the
professor and she will send it to me directly, but a better solution
would be to resolve the problem.

I have also never been able to configure Firefox to open PDFs in a
browser tab. I don't really care; downloading and opening directly
is fine. But maybe if I could get that working it would be a
workaround. I have read countless pages about how to get Firefox to
open PDFs in a tab, but almost all are hopelessly out of date, and none
have ever worked for me.

I have also tried Opera, but it doesn't work either.

Note that the link on the page is javascript, hence I cannot just use
wget. The name and location of the file is not visible to me, not even
looking at the source for the page.

Any suggestions welcome.