[PLUG] Gnome 3 released today

Michael M. Moore moore.michael.m at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 16:34:46 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 23:39 -0700, Nathan W wrote:

> has anyone else tried it out yet? any impressions to share?

Have not tried it yet, but thanks for sharing your impressions.  I'm
probably in a space that could be best described as "curious, but not
anxious" to try this out.  For the time being, I'm using Ubuntu Maverick
(mostly because I failed to get either Arch or Debian installed or
working correctly on this laptop), and I'm not planning on upgrading to
Natty when it is released.  I'll probably wait a few months, for kinks
to be ironed out.  Natty won't be using Gnome 3 by default anyway, it'll
be using the similar-but-different "Unity," and I'm also curious (but
not anxious) to see how those two approaches to the desktop compare and
contrast.

Fun but confusing times in *nix-o-sphere, all of which probably means
another year of this not being the fabled "year of Linux on the
desktop."

Michael