[PLUG] New System Setup

Kirk Goins kirkgoins at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 02:40:06 UTC 2011

I asked sometime ago about what distribution I should use for a small FTP
and sometimes small Web Server.  I had a Mandrake 8.x system but the file
system wasn't letting me deal with multiple GB files like DVD iso images. So
I moved off what I needed to keep and wiped it. I started playing with
Ubuntu Desktop 10.04 and am sorta happy an sorta not. Here's what I I
need/cpuld do before. ( Don't laugh, I mainly work on NON PC / NON Unix
based IBM gear. I also mainly use Windows for my work and personal systems )
I dont' want to trust a Windows box to do this stuff open to the world.

#1 On my previous system, I had worked my way through a basic firewall setup
that allowed FTP and HTTP through my External IP
#2 I could thru linuxconf quickly enable/disable/vhange the external
interface when I wasn't activily using it.
#3 FTP was ProFTPd
#4 Liked Midnight Commander for some file / object work
#5 Used Webmin for a few basic tasks.

So is Ubuntu Desktop where I want to be for this simple stuff or do I want a
server class version of Ubuntu? The splash screens for the Ubuntu SW  site
says 1000's of programs, but the largeswt list I get there is 267, big
difference. I have pulled ProFTPd and Webmin and got them installed. I am
having trouble with getting the firewall working and a way to simply disable
the external IP when I don't need it.  I can bring this beast by the clinic
on Sunday, if that is the best place to get it working as desired.

--
Kirk