[PLUG] New System Setup

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Apr 16 06:24:40 UTC 2011

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 20:05:41 -0700
Tim <tim-pdxlug at sentinelchicken.org> dijo:

>> So is Ubuntu Desktop where I want to be for this simple stuff or do
>> I want a server class version of Ubuntu? The splash screens for the
>> Ubuntu SW  site says 1000's of programs, but the largeswt list I get
>> there is 267, big difference.

>With any major Linux distribution, you'll have access to more or less
>the same set of software.  Generally the only difference between
>versions of a distribution (and even different distributions) is the
>software that is installed by default and possibly what kinds of
>package management tools they rely on.

With any fresh install of Ubuntu you will have very few packages
available. That is because they ship Ubuntu with most of the
repositories disabled.

Go into System > Administration > Software Sources and enable the
additional repositories. You should end up with 25-30,000 packages. You
can also enable the repositories from within Synaptic Package Manager.