[PLUG] New System Setup

Kirk Goins kirkgoins at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 23:41:40 UTC 2011

Well I think I have the system pretty much where I need it for now. I have
the firewall only allowing FTP and HTTP on the outside address and both
servers appear to be working fine.  Also have VNC working on the inside
interface.

I do have a question. I setup a couple of users for the purpose of FTPing.
Each has files it its /home directory. On my Mandrake system it was more
server like and a user had to login then startx if they wanted the GUI.
Ubuntu is starting in X and I see all the users I setup. I would just as
soon not see them on the GUI startup/login screen. Is t here a way to hide
these extra users?

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 9:39 AM, MJang <mike at linuxexam.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-04-16 at 08:51 -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 08:31:45 -0700
>
> snip
> > I have had issues with the PSU and OSU mirrors. They are definitely the
> > fastest, but I discovered that they didn't have all the packages. I'm
> > not sure how that can be if they are "mirrors," but that's what
> > happened. It may also have been an anomaly, although the time when it
> > happened the missing files that I needed stayed missing for a week
> > before it dawned on me to switch mirrors. It was several years ago, but
> > I recall that when I switched to the US main mirrors my available
> > packages increased by a couple thousand.
> >
> > The GUI has a really handy tool for testing the speed of the various
> > mirrors. Recommended, but check your total package count before and
> > after changing.
> >
> Hi John,
>
> Last time I tried that GUI tool a couple of years ago, it gave me
> results that I didn't trust, like mirror sites in Alberta with 10M
> pipes. Sure, it has to be an algorithm combining pipe, load, and
> distance. But some human judgement is still required.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Kirk