[PLUG] Mass Removal of White Space in File Names

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Apr 18 13:18:24 UTC 2011

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011, Fred James wrote:

> Not sure why the need for a "one-liner"?

Fred,

   There is no such 'need.'

> This bit of script (SH/BASH) extracts a list of files (excluding
> directories).  From there my approach would be to either ...
>   feed it to AWK

   I don't need a list of directories as I copied those files from the cdrom
disk to specific and known directories.

   I like the idea of using awk; for whatever the reason I did not see this
as the most parsimonious solution. I'm probably mistaken, but my
understanding is that sed would be used within a file to make changes
line-by-line, while awk can be fed by the 'ls' command.

Thanks,