[PLUG] ANNOUNCEMENT: PLUG Advanced Topics IPv6 Networking Part 1

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Tue Apr 19 06:35:40 UTC 2011

>>>>> "Denis" == Denis Heidtmann <denis.heidtmann at gmail.com> writes:

Randal> Thus, there's not going to be an IPv4 gold rush, and instead
Randal> IPv6 *must* be deployed before the first RIRs are dry.

Russell> https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html

Russell> Woohoo, "Community Networks" get a mention in 2.11 and
Russell> special allocation rules in 6.5.9.

Denis> Isn't this a very strict requirement?  I guess if you hire a
Denis> consultant, he/she is not staff, so OK.

Denis>  "To be treated as a community network under ARIN policy, the
Denis> applicant must certify to ARIN that the community network staff
Denis> is 100% volunteers.."

Personal Telco *is* 100% volunteers.  Our bigger problem is that we
don't have a cohesive network from a routing point of view.  We are an
aggregation of independently-served networks.  So the advantage of
this for us isn't so great.  We could get along fine with the /48 we
got from hurricane electric and tunnel between nodes.  If we were
purely wireless and/or backhauled to a common point, it would be more
useful.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net