[PLUG] Request for Suggestions: Configuration file templating?

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Tue Apr 19 17:04:55 UTC 2011

I am looking for suggestions for a templating system.  I need to
generate a tree of configuration files to "bake" into a firmware
image.  My tree overlays (replaces) the standard configuration to
localized it for a particular situation.  I have rolled my own in Perl
and sed, primarily, but it seems like this problem is not unique to me
and SOMEONE MUST HAVE DONE THIS BETTER BEFORE!

I'd like something that supports some if-then-else logic as well as
variable replacement.  For example, the config files might be shaped
different if I am bridging rather than routing.  Or different target
devices might have different numbers or types of interfaces.

Can anybody suggest something they like?

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net