[PLUG] ANNOUNCEMENT: PLUG Advanced Topics IPv6 Networking Part 1

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Tue Apr 19 23:43:42 UTC 2011

>>>>> "Randal" == Randal L Schwartz <merlyn at stonehenge.com> writes:

>>>>> "Russell" == Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net> writes:
Russell> https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html

Russell> Woohoo, "Community Networks" get a mention in 2.11 and
Russell> special allocation rules in 6.5.9.

Randal> And I already have five personal /48's, and one /48 for my
Randal> company.

Randal> Seriously, there's enough space to give every *individual* who
Randal> will likely ever need more than one segment their own /56 (for
Randal> 65536 segments :), and they're still handing out /48's left
Randal> and right.

Randal> I suspect broadband-to-home will be handing out /56 by
Randal> default, and it'll be trivial for Portland Telco to get a /48,
Randal> so that they can allocate /56's to each of *their* end nodes
Randal> for multi-segments.

Yeah, exactly.  The special clause is kind of useless for our
topology.  We can solve the problem ourselves without it (although a
little more proactivity by local ISPs would be nice).  It was pleasant
that people thought about us.  I think I even participated in lobbying
for that clause in a tangential way.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net