[PLUG] Problems with Virtual Box

Daniel Herrington dherrington at robertmarktech.com
Wed Apr 20 20:55:20 UTC 2011

David,

I had to abandon virtual box on Ubuntu because I ran into some serious
issues early on. Could barely get through a Windows Server install, and
accessing the machine was very slow.

I used vmware server on Ubuntu but it's no longer supported. I finally
settled on KVM.

Have you tried KVM? I've been using it successfully without issues for
about a year. I find it very intuitive and easy to build, copy, and
maintain images on the command line.

Dan H.

David Mandel wrote, On 04/20/2011 01:49 PM:
> Have people had problems with Virtual Box on openSuSE or other Linux?
> Or have I simply screwed something up with my particular installation
> of Virtual Box?
>
> I originally used Virtual Box with Windows 7 as the host OS and was
> able to install and run most any OS I wanted including openSuSE,
> Fedora, Ubuntu, several different versions of Knoppix, PC-BSD, and
> openSolaris with few problems.
>
> Now that I'm using openSuSE 11.3 as the host OS, I have been able to
> install a good working version of Windows XP, but seem to have major
> problems installing and running other OSs.  I may have been successful
> with Ubuntu, and haven't tried openSuSE or Fedora; but have major
> problems using Knoppix and PC-BSD.
>
> Are problems like this common with virtual box in Linux?
>
> I'm short on time and almost ready to go back to VM-Ware server which
> has served me well over the years.
>
> David Mandel

Daniel Herrington
Director of Field Services
Robert Mark Technologies
o: 651-769-2574
m: 503-358-8575
www.robertmark.com

CA Workload Automation r11.3 is now GA. Contact us if you have any questions about the new release or want to discuss your company’s upgrade path.

Follow Robert Mark on LinkedIn!
http://www.linkedin.com/company/robert-mark-technologies/