[PLUG] Problems with Virtual Box

Joe Shisei Niski joeniski at easystreet.net
Wed Apr 20 21:14:18 UTC 2011

On 04/20/2011 01:49 PM, David Mandel wrote:
> Have people had problems with Virtual Box on openSuSE or other Linux?
> Or have I simply screwed something up with my particular installation
> of Virtual Box?
>
> I originally used Virtual Box with Windows 7 as the host OS and was
> able to install and run most any OS I wanted including openSuSE,
> Fedora, Ubuntu, several different versions of Knoppix, PC-BSD, and
> openSolaris with few problems.
>
> Now that I'm using openSuSE 11.3 as the host OS, I have been able to
> install a good working version of Windows XP, but seem to have major
> problems installing and running other OSs.  I may have been successful
> with Ubuntu, and haven't tried openSuSE or Fedora; but have major
> problems using Knoppix and PC-BSD.
>
> Are problems like this common with virtual box in Linux?
>
> I'm short on time and almost ready to go back to VM-Ware server which
> has served me well over the years.
>
> David Mandel
i haven't had any problems on Ubuntu 7.x through 10.10, installing Win
XP and 7 guests as well as transporting disk images from other host
systems and migrating older configurations, using bridge and NAT
networking setups. But, in all fairness, i haven't had to mess with any
of the server editions of Windows.