[PLUG] 3G Data Transfers, WAS: Alternative to using split / cat for FTPing large file to remote location?

Michael R michael at jamhome.us
Wed Apr 27 17:25:25 UTC 2011

Tom Sharples
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We're building a wireless 3G IP
camera system that will FTP a large
> (2.5Mbyte) 10 megapixel jpeg
image every 30 minutes to a remote server, for
> use in a time-lapse
image application. Using a cron job, we pull the image
attached IP cam via curl http://<local cam IP address>/img.jpg

 >/tmp/image.jpg, and then FTP it to the remote server. This works fine
when
> the 3G connection is working well (around 300-400K upload
bandwidth). But
> when the 3G connection slows to a crawl, which
happens multiple time each
> day, the FTP transfer hangs or times
out
Well that's interesting.  Is this all on one 3G network or multiple
carriers?  Are the 3G slowdowns consistent with respect to time of day?  Do
you you have multiple camera points?
Please tell more.

--
     Michael Rasmussen