[PLUG] Favorite Linux Netbook specific distro?

Mike Connors mconnors1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 19:58:52 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Jason Barnett
<jason.barnett71 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I use the 64bit version of Kubuntu on my netbook.  It has the option of the
> Netbook or Desktop interface and you can change back and forth as you
> please.  I usually stick with the standard desktop and have no issues.  I
> only make a few tweaks to reduce the amount of disk writing it does and it
> works quite nicely.  I have found that if I use an encrypted home directory,
> it is slower to boot but most other things work at normal speed.  I also
> manage to get about 7 hours of use on a charge.
>
> Toshiba NB-305 w/ 2Gig RAM

Hmm, as many people don't seem to feel the need to run a netbook
specific distro it makes me wonder what if any
real benefit is? Maybe their geared more towards ARM based hardware?
Maybe just have simpler, web browser type
interfaces for a broader user base who won't be hacking, tweaking, and
running a lot of different apps? Or maybe they were just
over-engineered thinking that off the shelf netbook hw couldn't run a
standard distro well? Or maybe it's just marketing, a chance
for someone get their name out there amongst the 100s of Linux distros?

I've settled on the Toshiba NB series. In my research thus and the
only issus I've come across are with the Realtek NIC and touchpad
don't seem to
work out of the box on a few distros. From the threads I've read,
Realtek provides a Linux driver that works, but I didn't see anything
about the touchpad. Which
is fine, because I despise thouchpads. IBM won my heart with their
track-stick idea.

_Mike