[PLUG] rsync

chris (fool) mccraw gently at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 21:22:05 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 12:00, Bruce Kilpatrick <kd7vvk at gmail.com> wrote:

> The question is which of the dot files are really necessary to keep, and
> will it save much room if they are not copied?

browser (and acrobat reader) cache are typically my biggest "hidden"
files.  here's how you can tell what's worth investigating/pruning:

cd ; du -sk .??* | sort -n

personally speaking, i don't have enough in there to think about
compared to the size of the rest of my homedir (300M:46GB)--and this
home directory is 11 years old ( => lots of stale old dotfiles i could
probably prune if i cared enough).

but then i also have most apps' cache sizes dialed down pretty low and
did once scrub the acrobat cache dir manually.

dotfiles used to be mostly config files.  and they still are, though
gnome's config file directory is bigger than my entire home directory
was for quite some time.  funny, since i don't even use gnome (but do
use some apps that use that framework under the hood, i guess, since
the config files are there and recently modified).

</ramble>