[PLUG] Why Laptop Cannot Find Wireless Networks

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Aug 4 22:57:04 UTC 2011

On Thu, 4 Aug 2011, MJang wrote:

> IIRC, there are a number of bugs related to wicd and hidden networks,
> esp related to encryption. The following google seems to confirm:
>
> wicd "hidden network"

   I looked with wicd for hidden networks, but it didn't find any.

> iwlist wlan0 scan

   Considered doing that but decided to spend my waiting time extracting data
from a spreadsheet from the same client that provided me with other
horrendous data spreadsheets. I'm still plowing my way through one of 37
tabs that has about 100 columns to extract sets of related data to massage
into format for the database.

<vent>
   A good thread topic for PLUG-TALK is why those in the Microsoft business
world try to use spreadsheets as databases. Well, the why is pretty obvious,
but retraining them is very difficult. IMO, spreadsheets should be
restricted to the financial people; everyone else learns how to use a
database system.
</vent>