[PLUG] Hmm, no IP address???

Michael C. Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Thu Aug 11 11:43:20 UTC 2011

I'm planning on using IPTables::IPv4::IPQueue where I need to know the
source IP address, a logical address, to know what to do.  What I think
I want to do is create two Perl programs that communicate via
Net::EasyTCP connections.  One program will get the spam source IP
addresses from the spam and answer yes/no to the do you have this IP
address from the other Perl program.  The other Perl program will handle
asking the question, queue up the email, and then if appropriate slow
the email down.  Basically, one Perl program is a very simplified name
server where the other Perl program is a tarpit driven by the
presence/absence of the connecting IP in the name server.

Looking over the CPAN site, it doesn't look like remote IP address is
something that is easily grabbed.  Is there a way when the packet is
queued to get the IP addresses?  The hardware MAC addresses are not what
I need.

For the tarpit program, I think the first step is queue the packets and
retrieve the remote IP address followed by reinjecting them.  Step
2 is to ask the name server Perl program about the remote IP address.
Step 3 is to tarpit when appropriate.

I will undoubtedly need some more help, but I am starting to get a clear
picture of what these two Perl programs need to do.

As far as the broken test, why hasn't the author of
IPTables::IPv4::IPQueue fixed that?  I tried manually testing with a
manual fix, test 4 failed.  I figure that test 4 wasn't failing before,
so I force installed the package.