[PLUG] Macbook Air

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Fri Aug 12 15:43:30 UTC 2011

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011, chris (fool) mccraw wrote:

> Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 08:30:02 -0700
> From: "chris (fool) mccraw" <gently at gmail.com>
> To: "General Linux/UNIX discussion and help,	civil and on-topic"
>     <plug at lists.pdxlinux.org>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] Macbook Air
>
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 07:43, Sean Ellefson <scellef at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What about the X1?
>>
>> http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/16/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-review/
>> http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Subnotebook.55370.0.html
>
> it's pretty and zippy, but it's 2 bigger" and $400 more than the 11"
> macbook air.  plus, less battery life.  that "fast charge" trick sure
> does sound cool though, for systems with nonremovable batteries!

It's a tough call: ultra thin and light, but no ports; or somewhat
beefier with ethernet, DVI, etc? This one is probably as small as it
gets while still having the full complement of connectors.

The Macbook Air does not come with a German keyboard option, so it's
off the table. the Samsung Series 9 does have this option, but I
actually have to buy it from Germany. I'll give my money to the
company that makes it the least PITA to get a German keyboard. Except
Sony. I hear nothing but bad things about their customer
support. Maybe Lenovo will prove itself in the internationalization
arena.

Carlos