[PLUG] remapping keys in VGA console

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Aug 21 18:03:39 UTC 2011

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011, Carlos Konstanski wrote:

> I just used xmodmap to remap a key. It works great in X. But not in the VGA
> console. I tried editing the file in /usr/share/keymaps (Gentoo system) to
> no avail. Is this the right place, but maybe I just wasn't doing it right?
> Is there a tool similar to xev that works in non-X shells? Are the kexcodes
> identical in X and non-X environments?

Carlos,

   Two different animals.

   For your consoles put this at the end of ~/.bash_profile:

loadkeys ~/.keymap

   And, in my case, ~/,keymap contains

[rshepard at salmo ~]$ less .keymap
# Created 12 July 2002 by Rich Shepard
#
# Exchange the left Control key and the Caps Lock key on the keyboard
keymaps 0-2,4-6,8-9,12
keycode 58 = Control
keycode 29 = Caps_Lock