[PLUG] A Hardware Question [RESOLVED]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Aug 22 16:25:46 UTC 2011

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011, Wayne E. Van Loon Sr. wrote:

> I have both DVI and VGA outputs on a video card. When I blissfully
> switched to a DVI cable on my Hanns-G flat panel, the sharpness of the
> screen was noticeably reduced. I was told that there was a 6 bit DVI cable
> and a later 8 bit DVI cable and that I probably had the 6 bit cable. Doing
> a quick search on DVI cables I discover that there are at least DVI-D
> Single link and dual link; DVI-A; and DVI-I Single Link and Dual Link
> cable types.

Wayne,

   A lot of flavors and I don't know which I need. PCH Cables shows a bunch
but doesn't describe where each is appropriate. Since I bought the system
board at ENU, and they carry this monitor I'll ask them. They've not steered
me wrong.

   I've not before had to futz with anything other than brightness and
contrast on a monitor. But, when I cut the brightness and/or contrast the
whites take on a gray or blue tinge. I'm not a color guru but I know what
various applications (LyX, Firefox, alpine, etc.) looked like before so I
see the differences.

   Supposedly this a good monitor brand. When I learn to get the colors,
brightness, and contrast "right" I'm sure it will work well. I'll still need
another monitor so I'll look for a different brand. The Acer was nice and I
have no idea why it just expired like it did. Oh, well.

Thanks,