[PLUG] Monitor Hardware Question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Aug 30 00:03:14 UTC 2011

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011, Mike Cherba wrote:

>    I believe that your Acer monitor has an input selection in the menu.
> you need to open the menu using the buttons on the monitor and find the
> input secetion in order to choose the DVI input. You should not need to
> use a VGA cable alongside or in replacement of your DVI cable.

Mike,

   As I wrote to Ronald (who responded off the list), I'm dumb enough to have
thought the monitor firmware would auto-detect the video mode since it
auto-detects so much else.

   Regardless, I find using the mystery buttons along the bottom edge of the
screen quite frustrating. I can bring up the first menu, but the buttons
corresponding to the triangles under each icon don't select that icon. What
each button does seems to be context dependent and hidden from us mere
users.

   However, the right-most button causes the display to blank and small VGA
and DVI icons appear in the upper right. Alternating. Not pausing nor
letting me select one or the other. VGA is the default, that's what the
monitor is going to use regardless of my pressing that button (or even
holding it in).

   Tomorrow I'll try to contact Acer tech support and see if anyone there can
help. Shouldn't be this difficult.

Thanks,