[PLUG] Monitor Hardware Question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Aug 30 16:12:41 UTC 2011

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011, Dale Snell wrote:

> At a guess, there's some wonkery going on with your X11 setup, and it's
> confusing Xfce.  It (X11) has probably set itself up for two separate
> displays, VGA (Screen0) and DVI (Screen1).  But, since your DVI port is
> working now, you can fix that.  Make sure the VGA cable is unplugged, and
> restart your X11 server.  That should cause it to regenerate its settings,
> and with any luck, make Xfce happy.

Dale,

   Not only is X being confused, but so am I. I tried your suggestion. The
monitor reported 'no cable connected' and would not display anything but
some thin lines at the very top edge of the screen.

   Disconnected the DVI cable and put back the VGA cable. Turned on monitor.
No display. Finally got sufficiently disgusted that I removed the monitor
and restored the Hanns-G vga-only. It's now working and I can get work done,
too, now.

   I'll bring the Acer to the next clinic and see if there's a monitor
hardware expert who can figure out how to make it work. I just cannot take
the time to continue screwing around with it.

   Cannot recall having such problems with a monitor and X even back in the
2.0 kernel days when getting the mode line correct was vital.