[PLUG] Monitor Hardware Question

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Tue Aug 30 19:45:57 UTC 2011

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2011, Wayne E. Van Loon Sr. wrote:
>
>> I seems that my video card (evga GeForce GT 430) only provides output to
>> which ever output (DVI or VGA, have not tried HDMI yet) that it finds a
>> device (monitor) at boot-up. I think I had to restart my system when
>> switching between DVI and VGA cables.
>
> Wayne,
>
>    Interesting. I'm so used to not rebooting the idea doesn't occur to me.
>
>    Getting all services running again on the server after a reboot is a bit
> of a PITA. I'll check if it's necessary to get the darn monitor to work
> properly.

Ditto what Wayne said.  Perhaps this is no longer relevant given newer
  video drivers, but I would also recommend a reboot.  I think your
video card may need to see the DVI monitor when initializing after a
reset.

http://lists.pdxlinux.org/pipermail/plug/2008-March/058576.html

I know I pushed you to DVI.  Sorry you're encountering difficulties.

galen
--
Galen Seitz
galens at seitzassoc.com