[PLUG] Ubuntu System Administration

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Dec 1 23:01:25 UTC 2011

   As you all know, I'm a Slacker and don't know the fine points of
administering a ubuntu system.

   Xubuntu-11.10 is now installed on the laptop, but I was not able to set
the time zone (no instructions on how to do so and I blew it), and I missed
the host name box so it has the computer model as a host name. I need to
change those so the time is correct and so it works on the LAN.

   Also, it's been long enough that I don't remember how to create a root
user and password; in Slackware that's done during installation. Sudo-ing to
root to create root seems not likely to me.

   Please help a non-ubuntu, non-professional SysAdmin correct the time, host
name (/etc/hosts was changed but apparently didn't stick), and add user
root.

   Finally, I could not test the local wireless network connectivity because
while the system saw the network it kept asking for the user's password
which was provided. Apparently that didn't do the job.

TIA,