[PLUG] Wireless Networking Ubuntu Laptop

Russell Johnson russ at dimstar.net
Fri Dec 2 17:15:50 UTC 2011

On Dec 2, 2011, at 7:05 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:

> auto lo wlan0
> iface lo inet loopback (# I thought that lo was the loopback interface)
> address 192.168.55.5
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> gateway 192.168.55.4

Yes, interface lo is the loopback, but that's just it… It's local to the machine only. usually on the 127.0.0.0 network. By local I mean that machine ONLY. The lo interface is not used for external communication. Another machine on the same network IS external communication.

You'll maybe need to set up the eth0 or eth1 network for connectivity to another not local the that machine.

Russell Johnson
russ at dimstar.net