[PLUG] Wireless Networking Ubuntu Laptop

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Dec 2 18:43:26 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2 Dec 2011, Russell Johnson wrote:

> Ok, then I'm confused as to why you would try to assign a non 127 network
> address to your loopback interface.

Russell,

   I'm not trying to do that, but to create an automatic if-up for wlan0.
With some more insight I now know I need only lo and inet in
/etc/network/interfaces as soon as I can apt-get install wicd. The WICD
client should connect to both the local, static IP addresses network and
external DHCP addresses networks.

   It seems like a conundrum: I need to access the 'Net to get wicd, but
without wicd NetworkManager is not connecting to the local network via the
wireless interface (which is not running).

   I also tried to bring up the wlan0 interface but must have had the
incorrect syntax.

Thanks,