[PLUG] Ubuntu Upgrade Question

John Meissen john at meissen.org
Fri Dec 2 21:19:46 UTC 2011

Benjamin Kerensa said:
> 11.10 has had some weird issues with xscreensaver especially in Ubuntu  but
> I'm not sure about Xubuntu. I know there has been some changes to the upgrade
> tool.

There are some pretty serious issues with laptops and external monitors.
I refuse to stray off of the LTS releases, but my daughter recently
ugraded from 10.10 to 11.04 and hasn't been able to get an external
monitor to work reliably since.

For instance...
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+bug/858046
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-settings/+bug/882143
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nvidia-drivers-ubuntu/+bug/882134

A Google search seems to indicate a number of problems, from Unity vs
"Classic" to the nvidia driver, some of which claim to be fixed, others
still open/unresolved.

I'll know more when she's home for xmas in a couple of weeks, but for
now I'm recommending she go back to and stay on 10.04 unless there's a
compelling reason for upgrading.