[PLUG] Default password for phpMyAdmin? was Test.

wes plug at the-wes.com
Fri Dec 2 23:47:49 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net>wrote:

> On 12/02/2011 10:42 AM, wes wrote:
> > I can't think of anything on the surface that looks ungood here. My next
> > suggestion would be to set a password in mysql and try again from
> > phpmyadmin.
>
> Thanks. I was starting to think along those lines myself this morning.
>
> It's been a few years since I fiddled with MySQL so I got out my trusty
> copy of SAMS PHP and MySQL Web Development and turned to the appendix.
> That reminded me of mysqladmin. It says that after the installation is
> complete one should run:
>
> # mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'
>
> replacing new-password with whatever I want for a password. Since this
> is an Ubuntu machine my  prompt is $ instead of # so I ran the command
> with sudo in front of it. After putting in my sudo password I get the
> error message:
>
> mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> error: 'Access denied for user 'root@'localhost' (using password: NO)'
>
> I know I've never done anything with this installation of mysql before
> this week. So I know I've never set a password for root or any other
> user. Any ideas on what the packagers decided was the default password?
> Or is there some other problem I'm missing?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dick Steffens

I would take that to be a sign of progress. Now you need to figure out how
to tell phpmyadmin what the password is. I don't remember the specifics,
and I don't have time to dig into it right now, but my vague recollection
is that in the config file, there is a way to tell it to prompt for the
login info when you browse to the phpmyadmin URL. you would use username
root, and supply the proper password.

something like Basic HTTP? simple auth? cookie something? not sure. memory
is failing at this point.

-wes