[PLUG] Default password for phpMyAdmin? was Test.

Tim Bruce - PLUG timb at tbruce.com
Fri Dec 2 23:45:50 UTC 2011

On Fri, December 2, 2011 14:47, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> On 12/02/2011 10:42 AM, wes wrote:
>> I can't think of anything on the surface that looks ungood here. My next
>> suggestion would be to set a password in mysql and try again from
>> phpmyadmin.
>
> Thanks. I was starting to think along those lines myself this morning.
>
> It's been a few years since I fiddled with MySQL so I got out my trusty
> copy of SAMS PHP and MySQL Web Development and turned to the appendix.
> That reminded me of mysqladmin. It says that after the installation is
> complete one should run:
>
> # mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'
>
> replacing new-password with whatever I want for a password. Since this
> is an Ubuntu machine my  prompt is $ instead of # so I ran the command
> with sudo in front of it. After putting in my sudo password I get the
> error message:
>
> mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> error: 'Access denied for user 'root@'localhost' (using password: NO)'
>
> I know I've never done anything with this installation of mysql before
> this week. So I know I've never set a password for root or any other
> user. Any ideas on what the packagers decided was the default password?
> Or is there some other problem I'm missing?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dick Steffens

Rich,

There is a diffence between
    mysql -u root

and
    mysql -u root -h localhost

One uses a domain socket (the first one) and one uses TCP/IP.  In short,
you can configure MySQL to only allow certain users in from certain IP
Addresses, IP Address Ranges or hosts.

Also, you may have to specify -p on the end (to prompt you for a password)
or it will try to log you in with a blank password (i.e., no password).

One of these combinations should get you back in.

Tim
--
Timothy J. Bruce

visit my Website at: http://www.tbruce.com