[PLUG] Firefox 8.0 and Claws Mail

Michael Rasmussen michael at jamhome.us
Wed Dec 7 00:37:45 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 06, 2011 at 10:32:21AM -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> When I go into Edit > Preferences > Applications > mailto the dropdown
> is set to "Evolution (default)." There are two additional options on the
> dropdown: "Use other" and "Always ask." The "Always ask" choice makes
> it ask, but the only option when it asks is Evolution, Yahoo mail or
> Gmail. The "Use other" option opens a browser window. I can browse
> to /usr/bin/claws-mail, select it, and click on the Open button in the
> browser window, but the dropdown just stays on "Use other." When I
> close the window and reopen it, it has reverted to "Evolution
> (default)."

John,

I just downloaded and installed Firefox 8 to satisfy my curiosity about your problem.
I set it to use vi in response to mailto: links.
I closed FF and restarted.
It still launched vi.

> The dropdown has no place to type the name or location of the binary.
>
> The problem lies in one of three places:
>
> 	the upgrade from Fedora 14 to Fedora 16
> 	the upgrade from Firefox 3.something on Fc14 to Firefox 8.0
> 	the change from Gnome to Xfce desktop.

or a fourth BKAC.

> I am still poking at the problem.

What I did to set it to use vi:

Launch FF 8
Click through Edit -> Preferences -> Applications - -> mailto:actions
Click use other, curse the lack of a window to type in, click the icons at the top and then the file manager window to
get to /usr/bin/
Click vi and open
Click ok
Click ok
visit a mailto link
close FF
open FF
verify it still works

(note: on revisiting the process to write this out I saw the file brower window had a pencil and paper icon - clicked
that and found out my earlier cursing was not called for.)

FF 8 will do what you want.

--
            Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
      Other Adventures: http://www.jamhome.us/ or http://westy.saunter.us/