[PLUG] Firefox 8.0 and Claws Mail

Michael Rasmussen michael at jamhome.us
Wed Dec 7 00:51:27 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 06, 2011 at 04:37:45PM -0800, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 06, 2011 at 10:32:21AM -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > When I go into Edit > Preferences > Applications > mailto the dropdown
> > is set to "Evolution (default)." There are two additional options on the
> > dropdown: "Use other" and "Always ask." The "Always ask" choice makes
> > it ask, but the only option when it asks is Evolution, Yahoo mail or
> > Gmail. The "Use other" option opens a browser window. I can browse
> > to /usr/bin/claws-mail, select it, and click on the Open button in the
> > browser window, but the dropdown just stays on "Use other." When I
> > close the window and reopen it, it has reverted to "Evolution
> > (default)."
>
> John,
>
> I just downloaded and installed Firefox 8 to satisfy my curiosity about your problem.
> I set it to use vi in response to mailto: links.
> I closed FF and restarted.
> It still launched vi.
>

> > The dropdown has no place to type the name or location of the binary.
> >
> > The problem lies in one of three places:
> >
> > 	the upgrade from Fedora 14 to Fedora 16
> > 	the upgrade from Firefox 3.something on Fc14 to Firefox 8.0
> > 	the change from Gnome to Xfce desktop.
>
> or a fourth BKAC.
>
> > I am still poking at the problem.
>
> What I did to set it to use vi:
>
> Launch FF 8
> Click through Edit -> Preferences -> Applications - -> mailto:actions
> Click use other, curse the lack of a window to type in, click the icons at the top and then the file manager window to
> get to /usr/bin/
> Click vi and open
> Click ok
> Click ok
> visit a mailto link
> close FF
> open FF
> verify it still works
>
> (note: on revisiting the process to write this out I saw the file brower window had a pencil and paper icon - clicked
> that and found out my earlier cursing was not called for.)
>
> FF 8 will do what you want.

Having said all that before reading the rest of the thread, I'm using KDE.
the drop down also has a selection for Application Details.
Mine now lists perl, Gmail, Yahoo! Mail and vim.

And a question did come to mind:  have you drilled down through ~/.mozilla/firefox/<UID>.default
to make sure you have write permissions all the way down?  If you can't write to your config
that would be a bit of a problem.

Specifically look for mimeTypes.rdf - this is an XML file FF uses to store these preferences.

--
            Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
      Other Adventures: http://www.jamhome.us/ or http://westy.saunter.us/