[PLUG] env COLORTERM [FIXED]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Dec 18 20:17:17 UTC 2011

On Fri, 16 Dec 2011, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   On my system, TERM=rxvt-unicode but COLORTERM=rxvt-xpm. I think this might
> be why I cannot display UTF-8 characters in virtual terminals and alpine.
> (I've asked on the Slackware mail list earlier this week but have not had
> any response.)

   Well! Turns out the issue was not with COLORTERM, but with setting the
locale.

   I would 'export LANG=en_US.UTF8' at the command line and in
~/.bash_profile (and ~/.bashrc, too, out of desparation) but it made no
difference. Each time I logged in LANG (and other environment variables
other than LC_COLLATION) returned to 'en_US'.

   A bit more Web searching lead me to the Slackware portion of
linuxquestions.org and that taught me there's /etc/profile.d/lang.sh. I
uncommented 'LANG=en_US.UTF8' there, logged out and then back in. Now the
UTF-8 test file properly displays and locale shows LANG=en_US.UTF8.

   Still don't know where COLORTERM is set, but that has nothing to do with
how the locale is set. Yowzer! Whew!