[PLUG] xkcd1k for plug general meeting January 5, maybe?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Dec 19 21:21:31 UTC 2011

David often has trouble rounding up speakers for the PLUG
general meeting.  If he does not have a speaker for
January 5th, I propose a "xkcd1k eve" meeting.

http://xkcd.com is the best webcomic in the universe, and
has been mentioned on the list many times.  Many of the
strips are about open source topics.  xkcd releases on
mondays, wednesdays, and fridays.  Today (Mon Dec 19)
was xkcd #992, discussed on the plug-talk list.

Assuming author Randal Munroe keeps to the usual schedule,
releasing the day's strip just after midnight Eastern time,
that means it shows up here about 9pm the day before.

If I've done my math right, that means that strip #1000,
xkcd1k, shows up around 9PM Thursday January 5, 2012,
while we are at afters at the Lucky Lab Northwest.

So, I propose we connect a web browser to the PSU projector,
and attendees suggest the numbers of their favorite xkcd
cartoons for display on the Big Screen.  We can explain or
discuss or ridicule them as needs be.  I can bring some
big pads of paper, some black markers, and a flip-chart
easel, and we can draw our own xkcd cartoons, at the
meeting or at afters.

If somebody is /really/ obsessive, they can set up some web
connections with other west coast user groups, and we can
swap our cartoons and comments back and forth.  In the long
run, that might lead to other over-the-web presentations,
and we could recruit speakers from other cities.

If this makes sense, we can announce on Caligator, on the
xkcd forums, and spread the word, and see who shows up.

Keith