[PLUG] Free HP Pavilion computer

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Dec 28 03:11:37 UTC 2011

Tenants left this behind. It is an HP Pavilion System 6460:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph04810&tmp_track_link=ot_faqs/top_issues/en_us/bph04810/loc:4&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=59943#N22

All I have is the box; no keyboard, mouse, monitor or other goodies. It
was designed for Windows 98, so that should give you an idea of its age.

I didn't open the case to see if the RAM had been upgraded from the
standard 96 MB that it probably came with (maximum 256 MB). Supposedly
it came with a 9.6 GB hard disk. I could scare up a monitor, keyboard
and mouse around the house and try it out, but I didn't bother because
it is kind of useless to me. Oh, and there is an empty slot where the
expansion cards go, so I suspect the tenants added a network card and
then removed it before putting it on a shelf in the basement. It has a
floppy drive as well as a CD drive. Might be useful for moving stuff
off of old floppies onto a CD to use on more modern computers that
don't have floppy drives.

You could probably get DSL or Puppy on it, or even Lubuntu, especially
if you add some RAM. If no one wants it, it goes to Free Geek.