[PLUG] Emacs: Save Buffer By Appending to Existing File

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Dec 28 19:57:03 UTC 2011

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011, Russell Senior wrote:

> One thing that would work, off the top of my head:
>
>  open the old file in a buffer
>
>  cut & paste the contents of the new buffer at the end of the old
>  file.

Russell,

   Allow me to be more clear than I was. I've done this. The full file is
then saved to, for example, 2011-12-28.R. However, when I next try to save
the R session I cannot save to that filename without overwriting what's on
disk.

   Doing this the other way, that is inserting (C-x i) 2011-12-28.R into the
R buffer also does not allow me to save the buffer contents to that same
file name. Check mate.