[PLUG] GB Ethernet and Cat5E Cable

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sat Feb 5 05:48:44 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 21:38, Kirk Goins <kirkgoins at gmail.com> wrote:

> Will there be any noticeable  performance hit by using Cat5e cables when the
> cable lengths are in the7ft to 14ft range when using Gigabit NICs and
> Switches?

No.  There will be no performance hit, full stop, if you use cables
that meet the specification for gigabit Ethernet.  (Obviously, damaged
or substandard cables may not deliver. ;)

So, no, that should be just fine, as would either Cat6 STP or fibre.

Daniel
--
⎋ Puppet Labs Developer – http://puppetlabs.com
✉ Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net>