[PLUG] Shopping for Netbook to run Linux. What's your fav Netbook for Linux and why?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Feb 5 17:58:50 UTC 2011

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 00:14:19 -0800
Mike Connors <mconnors1 at gmail.com> dijo:

>> If I was in the market for a netbook I'd look at the Motorola Atrix
>> 4G. You can get a laptop dock for it that basically turns it into a
>> netbook. When it's not a netbook its an Android 2.2 phone. Of course,
>> if you don't need a phone, then it becomes too expensive for a
>> netbook. At $500 for the phone + dock bundle it's even expensive for
>> a phone + netbook.
>

>Ah yes, I recall reading about this and then forgot about it. Thanks
>for reminding me! This was just revealed at CES, correct? I recall
>thinking how amazing I thought this product was and how happy I was to
>see MotoroIa innovating again! I wonder if it's actually on the market
>yet.

Not quite yet. The February 3 edition of the Wall Street Journal had an
article stating that AT&T (the only vendor) would take orders starting
February 13 and that the ship date would be March 6. However, that was
the WSJ, and there has been no word from Motorola confirming or
denying. Rumors have been flying ever since CES, and at one time both
Amazon and Costco had ads listing the phone for $150, but the pages
were quickly removed, although Amazon does currently list four pages
of accessories. There are also reports on the net that AT&T employees
are currently receiving training on it.

I plan to get one as soon as I can, but just the phone, not the dock,
although I'll also get a 32 GB microSD card. (Note to self: Figure out
if the microSD card will fit in my Thinkpad T61.) The phone is $200
(with new plan or upgrade contract), and the dock is $500, although you
can get them both in a bundle for $500. You can get a real netbook with
more power for ~$350, which is why I said that it's a bit overpriced if
you want it as a netbook. The only justification for the price is the
convenience of using it as either a phone or a netbook. Or the fact
that you'll be the coolest kid on the block.