[PLUG] Extracting From .img File

Patrick "Finn" Robins 13.finn at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 19:55:11 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 13:03, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Feb 2011, Patrick "Finn" Robins wrote:
>
> > Silly question, did you remember the '-o loop'  in the mount command?
>
> Finn,
>
>   Nope:
>
> [root at salmo /home/rshepard/GIS/spatial-data/Nevada/dem]# mount -t iso9660
> -o loop ./nv_dem.iso /mnt/dvd/
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
>        missing codepage or helper program, or other error
>        In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>        dmesg | tail  or so
>
> [rshepard at salmo ~]$ dmesg | tail
> ISOFS: Unable to identify CD-ROM format.
>
> > I have run across problems mounting images that were pulled from cd,
> > research suggests it may be a problem with DAO vs TAO burning. A utility
> > called iat does image conversion to iso, this has cured my issues in the
> > past.
>
>    I'll look for 'iat'.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

Rich,
    Did some tinkering after Tim's suggestions, hopefully this can help.

$ sudo losetup /dev/loop0 /path/to/.img
$ sudo mount /dev/loop0 /mount/dir

This was all that was required to mount an image to browse. mmls gave me no
information on the image, nor did sfdisk. They both complained about being
unable to read the image file or not recognizing the file system.
Hope this helps.
on a side note many image files actually show up as an hfs file system (-t
hfs).
--
Patrick "Finn" Robins

and those who matter don't mind.