[PLUG] Extracting From .img File

Bill Barry bill at billbarry.org
Sun Feb 6 20:13:40 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Feb 2011, Tim wrote:
>
>> What kind of disk image is it?  You mentioned /mnt/dvd ... is it a DVD
>> image/iso?  If it is a hard drive image, then most likely the easiest
>> way would be to mount the partition(s) within the disk.
>
> Tim,
>
>   I've no idea. It probably comes from some version of ESRI's ARC/Info (or
> ARC/GIS, whatever they're calling in nowadays.) The beginning of the file
> has EHFA_HEADER_TAG.

I don't think that is a disk image. Is it a real image/data
combination in some proprietary GIS  format?

From
home.gdal.org/projects/imagine/iau_docu1.pdf
We find that "The Ehfa_HeaderTag is used as a unique signature at the
beginning of an ERDAS IMAGINE HFA file. It must
always occupy the first 20 bytes of the file.
{16:clabel,1:lheaderPtr,}Ehfa_HeaderTag,"

Gdal claims to support this type of image
http://www.gdal.org/frmt_hfa.html

Bill