[PLUG] Extracting From .img File

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Feb 6 20:16:06 UTC 2011

On Sun, 6 Feb 2011, Tim wrote:

> Can you give us a little more background?  Namely:
> - Where did you get the image?

   Most likely the Univ. of Nevada Reno digital library.

> - What programs normally use it?

   As is? None.

> - How do programs normally use it?  Are you expected to burn it it to a
> DVD first and then have some program read it directly?

   I would expect to find a .e00 (ARC Export format) file hidden in there. It
is used in GIS applications for spatial analyses and modeling. Why it was
created as an .img file I've no idea. Probably because whoever did so wasn't
thinking.